Sunday, April 29, 2012

March 2012


Petroglyphs

Katie and Kate

 Cody and I, along with Katie, Kate, and Matt, took a trip to Bishop, CA for their spring break. It’s a great place for bouldering and rock climbing, plus it also has hot springs!  We spent 5 whole days climbing and camping!  It was so much fun. Cody and Matt got to do some serious bouldering while the girls just played around the rocks.  My favorite spots were the Happy Boulders and The Dreamers. We also went to The Buttermilks, but didn’t stay long there.  And getting to the bottom of…..I forgot the name of the gorge, but it’s where we climbed, was long but even more difficult to 
hike back up.  

I was cranky and upset; not at anything in particular, I guess I was just tired.  I didn’t want Cody to see me like that, but he’s very understanding and I tried to emphasize that he didn’t do anything wrong.   At the end of that long hiking day, I was more cheerful and when we had to do more hiking the next day, I wasn’t cranky.  Changing moods and having feelings is part of being human and I’m glad that I didn’t scare Cody too much, because the truth is that I had a lot of fun hiking and climbing and exploring and just being generally active.  We also went searching for some petroglyphs in the area and were very impressed by what we found. On the way home, we also stopped at Mono Lake to look at the Tufas.
 



                                                        Cody and I also explored the town of Bishop, which is really small, but touristy. In the evenings, we visited some hot springs and it was sooo warm!  It was my first time swimming in them and images of the movie Volcano came to my mind; specifically, the scene where a bunch of horny college kids get into a hot spring that rapidly heats up, ending with them boiling to death.  But nothing of the sort happened to us and it was very romantic, in fact, with the evening twilight and the bats flying around us.  Electricity poles ran alongside and in the dark of the night, you could see small arches of electricity racing along the lines amidst a blanket of gleaming stars.


My very first snow angel!
On the drive to and from, we drove through the mountains so there was snow and I got play in white fluffy snow!  It wasn’t hard, like I remembered from when I was a kid. We had mini snowball fights and made snowmen and snow angels. 
Snow family.







I was a little worried at the start of the trip that after spending so many days together, we would grow a bit bored of each other; I think Cody was concerned about this too.  But by the end of the trip, we both felt like we had grown closer by getting to know each other better.  We got to see the good and the bad sides of each other and we still weren't sick of each other- always a good sign, right?  Not only did we grow closer, but our relationship grew stronger too.

No comments: