Saturday, May 5, 2012

Earth Date 4-22-12

Happy Cinco de Mayo!  Yesterday was a horrible allergy day for me, but Cody came to the rescue by providing me with Benadryl and a ride home for me and my bike.  I've learned my lesson and will be taking allergy meds every morning even if it doesn't look like it's going to be a bad allergy day, which will come in handy when I work on the garden tomorrow (er, should I say later today).  The garden is doing well. Since Cody and I planted our Indigo Apple Tomato, it's grown into a promising food resource and it all started with EARTH DAY! about 2 weeks ago.


To celebrate Earth, we decided to spend the day out in nature and tending to our garden.  In the morning, we rode our bikes in Folsom on a beautiful trail.  I made this "Happy Earth Day" sign and attached it to the back of my bike.  I did get a few cheerful reactions from passerby's.  Then we had lunch in Old Folsom, which neither of us had ever been despite living so close to it. 
 




 I really liked our beans and corn lunch but apparently, Cody didn't.  No worries, he was just objecting to his picture being taken- but he looks so cute! Afterwards, we picked out our babies at the nursery and took them home, where we planted them in our garden. Eggplant, squashes, cucumber, more tomatoes, and beans, oh my! We are sure to have a feast this summer.  





Later that evening, I noticed that I got sunburned, which doesn't happen very often, so I was surprised.  After gardening, I gave Cody an Earth Day present. They are rock owls- an idea I got from pinterest.  I think I will continue to do this every year and make it a tradition, unless I forget- I tend to be forgetful >_<

                                            
If you want to continue reading about our garden, you can check out his blog at Stay! Weird for a week by week update. Plus, he gets more into the maintenance and details of not just the plants, but the soil too. He just bought worms to add to the worm bin with compost.  Hehehe, squirmy!

1 comment:

Cody said...

That was such a wonderful day. Thank you for my owls (I love them!) and for all of your love and for the great fun you always provide :)